The restoration has retained the 1913 pneumatic
action and the original specification.
The organ is famed for its
fine case which covers the West end of the church and was designed by Sir
Ninian Comper. Comper also adorned the rest of the church with fine gilt
and coloured fittings including reredos and altar, rood screen and font
cover. Indeed, the church is nicknamed 'The Golden Church'.
Our
work was extensive and laborious. The tubing run from console to organ had
collapsed on its vertical run down the tower wall and much re-tubing in
lead was necessary. Many pneumatics needed re-leathering despite similar
treatment in 1960 and despite this the organ still did not play properly.
We eventually discovered in two stages, that the action wind pressure
had been dropped to suit the capacity of the electric blower fitted in
1939.
And in the final finishing we found that the pipes were once
on higher pressure which, when upped by the last minute provision of a
supplementary blower, produced the fine Harrison sound expected but
obviously never heard since the last war.