Back          
St James, Southrepps, Norfolk
St James, Southrepps
Specification
Manual
Open Diapason  
Stopped Bass  
Claribel  
Dulciana  
Fifteenth  
Principal  
Flute  
Bourdon  

The organ was built by F Hughes and is dated 1863.

Inside the soundboard we find
F. Hughes & Co Organ Builders 32 Albany St Regents Park London. 1863.

It is an exceptionally delightful chamber instrument with an attractive tonal palette in a fine rosewood case with mother of pearl stop knobs.

As well as sliding in keys it has a 25 note pedalboard beautifully disguised in a drawer which opens easily for use.

The organ was restored by Martin Williamson in 1949, who probably added the pedal bourdon, and again by Bower & Company in 1973 and 1995 when we also restored the Fifteenth in place of the altered Keraulophon. The organ is tonally exquisite and the wooden stopped flute just delightful.

In 1995 the church did consider a brand new organ and Richard Bower proposed a 15 stop 2 manual to go on top of the rood screen in the traditional manner.

The proposed specification was
Swell
Hautbois 8
Bassoon 16
Mixture IV
Principal 2
Gemshorn 4
Salicional 8
Chimney Flute 8

Great
Trumpet 8
Mixture III
Fifteenth 2
Principal 4
Stopped Diapason 8
Open Diapason 8

Pedal
Trombone 16
SubBass 16