The fine 1913 Norman & Beard three
manual, which actually incorporates an earlier organ by Bedwell,
has been rebuilt and enlarged.
The work was necessary
because of the need to move the detached console to allow the
creation of a rather nice room within the church. This
necessitated the disturbance of the pneumatic tubing and it was
wisely decided to accept our proposal to convert to a solid state
action using "MultiSystem" from SSLL.
The console has
been grandiosely resited behind the choir stalls and the
piston system uprated to a ten level system but with the only
additional pistons visible on the console being the generals,
set and general cancel; remaining new piston gadgetry, and also
the blower switch, are hidden behind a tiny oak cupboard door
let into the return of the stop jamb.
Tonally we have
restored open diapason no 1 to the great (removed by HN & B a
decade ago in favour of a fifteenth, also retained), placed the
Lieblich bourdon (always great & pedal) onto a unit chest and
borrowed it also as a much needed third manual 8ft Lieblich
flute. Norman & Beard had christened this manual orchestral,
which it remains. Also now added is the new Trumpet/Trombone
rank, with pipes by Booth & Son of Leeds; all tonally finished
by Richard Bower. Whilst the couplers now "play through",
the feature of separate swell octave to great and swell
suboctave to great have been retained.