This fine example of the work of Harrison and Harrison in 1931, one
which incorporates the pipework from the former Walker organ, was
voiced by Arthur Harrison. It is ingeniously worked into the Chancel
position and with an unusual layout of Swell and Choir above the
console and Great organ in the next bay West facing the
congregation. The huge open wood squeezed into the various crevices
at the back of the organ and now has its own organ blower; the
Bourdon faces East into the vestry.
Whilst the organ
obviously had to be restored unaltered the impracticality of
maintaining the tubular pneumatic action lead to the decision to
install electric magnet primaries to the soundboards, now allowing
access to the back of the console and to the soundboards. The
console is unaltered and with the scant original piston provision as
it was (the set piston being out of sight).
Casework. It is
obvious that the organ was intended to have an oak case, that this
was prepared for and that it never happened. How elaborate this was
intended to be is not known, but the organ and the preparation lends
itself to the provision of practical and relatively simple casework.