Wednesday 1984 the first parish church and
its organ were destroyed by fire. It was the fire of the year in
The organ was insured separately from the building, so that in 1993
the parish was able to commission a fine new instrument from us which was installed in time for the dedication of this
striking new church. The opening recital was given by Jennifer Bate.
The organ is noted for its crisp, light, mechanical action, its
clear bright sound and its brilliant Cornet stop. Placed centrally on
a spacious west gallery the organ speaks clearly down the main axis of
The organ is arranged vertically above the player
in the best classical tradition with the Swell organ placed over the
Great organ, while the Pedal organ is divided either side of the case.
The metal pipes on the facade are from the Open Diapason stop on the
The case is made from black stained ash and was
designed by Richard Bower consulting with Inskip & Jenkins, of London,
EC2, architects of the new building.
A note about Young's tuning: Devised by Thomas Young
(1773-1829), this is a sixth comma well tempered irregular tuning.
Intonation becomes poorer in major keys as the number of sharps or flats
in the keys signature increases giving superb "key colour" such that C
Major is regal, D Major is triumphal etc.
It treats sharp and flat keys
equally. The major keys of C, D, E and F are very good. The minor keys
have less 'flavour' than the major keys.