Back          
St. Mary, Dalham, Suffolk
 St. Mary, Dalham, Suffolk
New Facarde
 
Specification
Manual
Open Diapason 8
Stopped Diapason Bass 8
Stopped Diapason Treble 8
Dulciana 8
Principal 4
Fifteenth 2

The organ was built as a barrel finger organ; a  date of 23rd May 1832 and a name of Thomas Smith, is pencilled inside the soundboard face board. The original list of 12 tunes is pasted inside the right-hand panel.

The organ was rebuilt by JW Walker in 1869 and the entry in the Walker records shows that he added the 8ft open diapason bass which now forms the front pipe display. Previously there must have been a chamber organ type of framed front case probably with dummy wooden gilded pipes; the fact that open diapason then shared the stop diapason bass is evident from the sliders.

Alas this organ was vandalised in 2010; much of the pipework was damaged beyond re-use; we were commissioned to repair and restore the damaged parts in 2012, work which included the re-making and re-stenciling of five facade pipes amongst the originals together with the replacement of the fifteenth and principal stops.