|St Helen’s, Bishopsgate, Norwich|
St Helen’s church is one of Norwich’s great churches, The
organ at St Helen’s Hospital, Bishopsgate, was built in 1850
by Mark Noble senior, a Norwich organ builder . He was the best
that Norwich has produced (pre the arrival of the Norman family)
and an excellent provincial builder. It is suggested that he
was apprenticed to Holdich and that fits with his style.
The organ is built into an early Victorian Gothic case typical of the 1840’s - 50’s.The front pipes above the manuals are in in a casing of three “towers” and two “flats”, covered in the original gold leaf with the accompanying pipe shades and decorations being carved in oak, showing oak leaves and acorns.
The National Pipe Organ Register described the organ as having a “delicacy and beauty of tone (that) are defining qualities of this instrument, which lacks reeds but possesses a variety of lovely 8’ flue stops.” An Hautboy was re-created as part of the 2007 restoration but subsequently removed as part of the “de-restoration” as Richard Bower calls it, demanded under the terms of the CCC grant.