Forster & Andrews built the old organ for the church in 1870,
an organ of two manuals and pedals with five stops for each of swell
and great and one pedal stop. In 1881 they added a mixture stop to the
great organ and in 1904 Morgan & Smith added some more stops using
pneumatic action; Norman Hall revised the specification further in 1970.
(Thank you to Michael Whitehall for this information).
site remained as originally built; the case at some subsequent date
was painted white, as were the church walls. Stencilling previously
abounded on both woodwork and walls and the outline can still be seen
on those pipes at the east end of the case.
The design for this
Bower organ makes the best of the old organ to provide a new 2 manual
and pedal organ with mechanical action. It uses the Forster & Andrews
pipework of the old organ and everything else is new apart from the
old case, now moved forward 12 inches and competed and repolished in
natural oak. This case above the console contains the Great organ with
the swell organ behind with the swell shutters projecting solely into
the church. The case to the left of the old case is entirely new and
this contains the new pedal organ, of five stops; the new façade pipes
forming the Pedal Principal 8ft. As there is no arch behind this case
the fine wires of the mechanical pedal action can just be seen running
neatly across the gap between the two cases.
The Pedal Mixture
marked IV ranks actually has V ranks, 4, 2 2/3, 2, 1 1/3, 1.